As a wife and mother, a clean house is very important to me. Realistically though, it’s not always likely to be spotless with three small children and limited time. Whether it’s picking up toys or hanging clothes, creating a daily household routine has helped me maintain a tidy home. However, staying on top of chores along with other responsibilities can be very overwhelming at times. In addition to cooking, helping the kids with homework, and ironing for the next day, cleaning the house should be easy and simple throughout the week. With so many things on your to-do list, a tidy home can help you tackle each task with a clear mind.
With these daily habits, you will be able to maintain a tidy home for a clear mind.
How To Keep Your House Clean
- Start with making the Bed– Making the bed is the first chore of the day. The bed is the focal point of every bedroom. A tidy bed will make a messy room seem less messy. Not to mention nothing is more welcoming than a fully made bed at the end of a long day.
- Wash the Dishes– Dishes should be washed daily. Waiting to wash the dishes only means a pile of dirty dishes later. Food left on dishes for a long time will harden and become more difficult to clean. Less time, less soap, and less water equal more money. Why spend extra time scrubbing dishes if you don’t have to. Also, the longer dishes are left sitting in the sink, the more bacteria, which leads to odor, mold and possibly unwanted visitors.
- Vacuum/ Sweep Floors– High traffic areas in your home should be vacuumed and/or swept daily. For those hard to reach areas with the vacuum, use the broom to sweep dirt and dust out of corners and on to the floor for easier access.
- Hang up your clothes– Nothing makes a house look messier than clothes thrown on the floor. Coats hanging on the back of chairs, socks on the couch, and bras hanging in the bathroom are just a few things that can be picked up and placed in the laundry basket to keep a tidy home. Every night before bed finish the night with a quick run through to pick up clothes to have a smooth clutter-free morning.
- Clear countertops– Mornings are extremely busy. Try to make a little time at night before bed to put away your flat iron or blow dryer to prepare for the next morning.
- Take out the trash- Trash should be taken out at least once a day. Not taking out the trash can cause an unhealthy home. When cooking or cleaning the refrigerator, remember to take the garbage out as soon as possible to avoid unpleasant smells and bacteria in the home.
Why You Should Keep Your House Neat and Tidy
Keeping your house clean is important for many different reasons. Consider the following reasons why you should keep your home clean:
- Fewer Distractions– when your home is clean you can focus on the more important tasks and it allows you to get more done.
- Less Time Looking for Things– I can’t begin to tell you how long it takes to find my children’s shoes in the morning when the house isn’t clean. When things are clean and organized you can get everyone out of the house quicker.
- Safety– As a mother of three children the one thing I pride myself on is safety. I am always trying to keep my littlest one from putting things in her mouth, and my oldest one from falling over something. A clean home gives me peace knowing my kids can play in a safe environment.
What Are The Benefits of Having a Tidy Home?
The main and most important benefit is health. A dirty home can cause many unwanted health issues. Cleaning daily reduces the number of allergens inhaled in your home. Common indoor allergens such as dust, pet dander, and pollen can trigger asthma and cause allergic reactions. During cold and flu season germs can live on surfaces for up to 24hours. Maintaining a tidy home can also lessen the length of viruses.
Improves Air Quality
Upholding a tidy home also includes changing air filters, removing your shoes before entering your home, and dusting frequently. Poor air quality can cause sinus congestion, coughing, sneezing, and dryness of the nose and throat. Consider investing in an air purifier to improve the quality of air in your home.
Holmes Air Purifier
Washing your bedding regularly, at least once a week, in hot water can improve your quality of sleep. Furthermore, declutter your bedroom by reducing the amount of clothes and shoes left on the floor.
Reduces Stress and Anxiety
Cleaning is a great stress reliever; it increases endorphins, which are the feel-good chemicals in our brain. Messy homes and cluttered workspace can make you feel anxious. Returning home after a long stressful day can make you feel at peace.
Good tidying habits can be done first thing in the morning or 15 minutes before bed at night. These are only a few cleaning tips that have helped me have a clear mind. Create your list of things you can do to maintain your home for a happier environment.